All minors under age 18 (including in many cases minors employed by parents) ED.C. 49141 must have a work permit. Applications are available at each school and at the Plumas Unified School District Office. Work permits must be renewed at the start of each semester or at the time the student obtains a new job. Work permits are required all year, not just when school is in session. It serves as an age certification and states the maximum hours a minor may work based on their age (Ed.C. 49160).
Plumas Unified School District
GUIDELINES FOR PAID EMPLOYMENT OF MINORS
- Under Age 12 are prohibited except for entertainment industry.
- Ages 12 – 13 are prohibited in firms subject to Federal FLSA.
- Ages 14 – 15 School in session: 3 hours maximum per day, Monday – Friday; 8 hours per day Saturday – Sunday (18 hours maximum per week between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.) Summer (June 1 to Labor Day): 8 hours maximum per day (40 hours per week and between the hours of 7 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- Ages 16 – 17 School in session: 4 hours maximum per day, Monday – Thursday; 8 hours maximum per day Friday-Sunday (28 hours maximum per week, between 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. or between the hours of 5 a.m. and 12:30 a.m. if no school the next day). Summer (June 1 to Labor Day): 8 hours maximum per day (40 hours per week and between the hours of 5 a.m. and 12:30 a.m.)
- Ages 16 – 17 School in session and enrolled in Work Experience: 6 hours maximum per day, Monday – Thursday; 8 hours maximum per day, Saturday – Sunday; 36 hours maximum per week 5 a.m. -12:30 a.m. any day of the week with an extended Work Permit. Working after 10 p.m. requires permission of parent and school Work Experience Coordinator on required form submitted with minor’s application for Work Permit. (LAB 1391.1)
CA minimum wage – https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_minimumwage.htm
Work Permit Form: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/dlseformb1-1.pdf
Fair Labor Standards Act: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/flsa
Department of Labor: https://dol.gov
Workmen’s Compensation Insurance: https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workcomp
Workplace Safety for Business Owners: https://www.osha.gov/Publications/smallbusiness/small-business.html